Monday, March 10, 2014

Gratitude: How to Recieve.


By Bob Peterson

Amalia's lovely story of Westjet kindness reminded me of blessings I received a few weeks ago.  Friends from Vancouver Island had visited me over the holiday and their daughter, Teresa, at some point in our conversation had heard me tell my friends about difficulties I have with my computer and a recently purchased Ipad. I can now remember Theresa saying "my husband Tom can help you and I'll have him contact you".

Friday Jan 3, 2014 was a cold day, and I knew that I would have to brush the snow off my car so I could drive to my 9:45 ultra sound appointment. At breakfast my table mate Phil said he would brush the snow off the car for me. I knew that would be a real plus for me. Then when I returned to my room, a call came in from Theresa asking what I was doing that day, and when I told her, she said "Tom & I will drive you to your appointment, & we’ll wait for you and bring you back to your seniors residence, and then Tom will help you with your computer while I go and pick up food for lunch.  I was delighted, and things went as planned. 

Tom & Theresa were both a great help to me. Before leaving, Theresa said "We’ll also shovel the snow from both sides of your car so you'll be able to drive out of the parking lot easier".   They were cheerful, encouraging and just bubbling with kindness.  
As we age, our pace slows down and we require more time to complete our tasks.  When faced with our limitations it is often difficult to remember to be grateful for the support or help that often comes from the most unexpected sources. The help I received was a wonderful act of kindness, and it reminded me that there have been many times when I have just taken these things so much for granted.   Amalia's story is another example of a situation that will remind me to focus on being grateful for the many blessings I receive, to be thankful & appreciate each day the Lord gives me, and not to focus so much on my difficulties & losses.

2 comments:

  1. And sometimes as we age we are too proud to ask for help. I know myself sometimes I'll sit and fret and stew over how I am going to do something instead of asking someone, as remember when we were young we thought we could do everything. Just like that terrific Swiffer commercial where the old gal still gets up on the chair to dust with Morty holding on. . And yet there are plenty of lovely people like Tom and Theresa who would come in an instant if we only asked. Great story, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Bob! Your examples and Amalia's story reminds us of the importance of trusting in the kindness of others. It is easy in our world today to be cycnical that someone is helping because they want something or because they feel obligated, but I choose to believe that more times than not it is because humans are pre-disposed to help and care for others in their tribe (all of life/not just our immediate community) and the intent is genuine.

    I find that as a society we speak about the importance of being kind to others (which is very important) but we don't spend a lot, if any, time talking about the other half of the equation and that is to be open and vulnerable to receive the kindness of others.

    to all of the Bubbies and Zaidas involved in this project, thank you for sharing your wonderful stories and perspective. I am appreciative and grateful.

    the old saying "all you need is love or kindness" is not the whole story but it is certainly an excelent foundation.

    ReplyDelete